Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Graduation Weekend

I guess I should apologize for my last rather cryptic post, and then the delay in posting a follow-up.

As predicted, I've started missing everybody.

I managed to get myself ready to go and went to bed at 3:30am. I didn't finish my speech, though. My alarm rang at 5:30.

I decided to take the subway to the airport, and got of at Kipling station (not Keele as no one pointed out in this entry, thank you very much). I did manage to get on the wrong bus and after about 25 minutes, decided that I should ask the driver and then get off. I waited at Finch and something for a long time before a cab came by. I hailed it and $22.00 and a very awkward conversation later, was at Terminal 1.

I arrived on Friday at 10:00 local time, and then picked up my rental car. Did you know that the insurance is almost twice as much as the car rental? Alamo charged me $18.69 per day for the car and wanted $34.99 for the insurance. I declined, naturally, and then shat myself all weekend. I had to drive on gravel grid roads and that wasn't fun since any chip would cost me. I made it through without any damage, and without giving them the satisfaction of their exorbitant insurance.

I got a haircut, before heading out to the school. I also had to buy some thank-you-wine and I decided to pick up a 12 pack of Pil so that Chris (post from Sat Apr 30/05) can compare Bohemian and Pil, in a taste comparision experiment. That and because I'm such a nice guy.

I headed out to the school and arrived there at 2:30. I visited with everyone and was a little hugged out by the end. Everyone was happy to see me. I was quite tired and despite finishing my speech on the plane, I needed to sit down at a computer and finish typing it.

When school ended for the day, I managed to make some time to work, and finished everything up. I headed over to the secretary's farm and took a quick shower and had some slices of pizza before heading over to the church for the pre-ceremony exercises (I will perhaps explain my feelings towards Catholicism another time).

I was very nervous as I was sitting through the ceremony, as I didn't feel like my speech was very good. Maybe I will post it and you can judge for yourselves.

After I was introduced, the cheering began and as stood and approached the stage it built and built, with many warm hoots and hollers from the students. I stood at the podium and it just continued and continued. I couldn't believe it, and it didn't help my nervousness very much.

Anyway, I think that this is a good excerpt that explains a little about how I feel about that school:

When I was in university I owned a small business. Before returning to earn my teaching degree, I sold the store and never looked back.

There has not been a day that has gone by that I haven’t thought about this staff, these students, and this community.

It'’s been a tough year for me, but one that has taught me the power of perseverance. It'’s taught me the strength of family and friendship. It'’s taught me that life is something to be enjoyed every day. Things can change and they can change quickly, but we need to be ready to accept that change and enjoy the journey.


After the ceremony, there was a dance, and that lasted until 12:30. I was exhausted, and a little sick of telling the same stories over and over again to every new person who came up to speak to me. I headed back to the farm and cracked one of Chris' beers. I drank it in bed while reading a book. I didn't care.

The next morning, I was invited to play golf. I golfed 9 holes, and since I had left my hat in my luggage, got a decent sunburn on my forhead. On the way back from the course I was invited for lunch. I couldn't really say no and so I had a couple of beers and some deer sausage. I'd never had deer before and even though I am not very adventurous with new foods I dove in. When in small-town Saskatchewanewan...

I drove into Sasktoon at 5:15 and spent the rest of the weekend there. My flight left at 6:00 am on Monday morning, and I arrived in Toronto at 11:15. I managed to catch the right bus this time and took the subway home.

That's it. That's all you get for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter