Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Are Comics Right For Me?

I never got into comic books as a kid. I have always felt like I missed out on something there. How would my life be different had I had boxes full of mylar covered pulp?

I walked past The Beguiling yesterday and noticed that they had a banner out front with Harvey Pekar on it.

Never being a comic book fan, I didn't know about Pekar until the movie American Splendour which I thought was a fantastic film about a fascinating man.

I got kicked out of my house (by real estate agents) this morning at 11:30, and so with time to kill before work, I decided to swing by and ask some questions about the poster. It turns out that Harvey Pekar, Jessica Abel, and Matt Madden are chatting about their latest graphic novels this Wednesday at U of T.

I am the first to admit that I don't know anything about graphic novels, but I am very intrigued. I think that my life needs more nerdery and I think that this might be a good addition. I don't know much about Pekar other than what I learned from the movie, and I don't know anything about Abel and Madden other than what I gleaned from browsing thier work at the bookstore today.

I'm not really qualified to go to a presentation and panel discussion, but what the hell. I figure that Pekar and I have a similar interest in the way that everyday life goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter