Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Friday, April 07, 2006

The Big Demerit Point Review

I'm sure that you are all dying to know how my big interview went.

I had to go into the Ministry of Transport this morning regarding my 10, that's right 10, demerit points. I had to have an interview and explain why I shouldn't lose my license.

I know that I should have been worried about it, but I wasn't. I knew that there was nothing that I could do about it. Either they were going to take away my license or they weren't. I figured that I could avoid screaming my head off in a fit of anger, and thought that that would really be the only reason why they would suspend my license. That, and not showing up.

So I got up at 6:45, showered, grabbed my book and my file folder marked "Tickets (frowny face)" (there actually is a frowny face on the file folder label). I was on the road by 7:30. I had to go to 2860 Keele, and since I had no idea how long it would take to get there or how busy the roads would be, I decided that I had better leave early. I certainly didn't want to be speeding. Only I would get a ticket while on my way to a demerit points interview.

Anyway, I arrived at 8:00 a full half hour before my appointment. I sat and read my book until they called me in. The building was typically depressing, but I'm reading Stephen Lewis, so I wasn't interested in the architecture of our government buildings.

I sat down with the woman, who was, surprisingly nice. I could see her being really unpleasant when warranted, but with me she was quite nice. She asked me a few questions, which I answered honestly.

It was all quite clear from early on that my license really wasn't in jeopardy. This interview was a called-into-the-principal's-office event. She gave me a mini-lecture about piloting a vehicle, and that speeding doesn't save time but costs money, and about forming bad habits on the road. She also mentioned how this was indicative of the state of my life, which I thought was presumptuous and insulting. She doesn't even know me! My life isn't in the fast lane. Getting caught for doing stupid things; that's my life.

I knew that she was speaking from a script and trying to scare me straight. Like any good student, I just sat there and took it. I'm sure I was exactly the same as everyone is when they are being lectured at: the glazed over eyes, the wandering thoughts, the squirming toes, and the involuntary head nodding.

Quite frankly, she was preaching to the choir. I have no intention of speeding again, and I have no intention of breaking the rules of the road. My Mom was called in for exactly the same kind of interview three weeks before she was killed in a car accident. I certainly didn't need a provincial government employee telling me that driving a car is dangerous and the rules of the road need to be respected. Hell, it's hard enough for me to even get into a car.

So that was that. She told me that she was not going to revoke my license, and I thanked her. The points will stay on my record for 2 years (most expire in May '07), but will stay on my insurance for three years. I had to take a vision test (which I passed), and then she sent me on my way.

It was 9:00 when I got back into the car. I headed to the grocery store and bought $138 worth of healthy food (no junk at all). I put all the groceries away, washed two packs of grapes, put the chicken breasts in individual freezer bags and into the freezer, and did the dishes. I vacuumed the house and took care of the recycling and composting. Now, I'm writing this blog with a full hour before I have to go to work. This getting up early thing is very productive, but I know I'm going to be feeling it come three o'clock.

I'm happy that I didn't lose my license. That would have been awful, not because I wouldn't have it, but because I would have to go through the process of getting my license again: the written test, the learner's permit, the road test, and all the involved fees. I passed that rite of passage 14 years ago and I don't want to go through it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter