Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Procrastination-B-Gone

Something very strange happened to me when I got home from work.

I walked in the door of my house. I turned on the inside light, and turned off the outside light. I took off my coat, scarf, toque, gloves and shoes. I walked into the apartment and Harpo was rolling around on the floor as he always does when I come home. I sat down beside him and gave him a good rub behind the ears, and on his belly. He was all full of static so I left him alone.

I sat down at the computer and checked my email. I surfed around for a bit and then it hit me: panic.

My course. I knew that I had to finish the final unit of my course for Thursday. I had been lulled into a false sense of security because I had finished so much of it ahead of schedule.

There's nothing unusual about me having bouts of extreme panic, but the unusual part about it was that I just opened up a blank word document and got the assignment done. I didn't put it off, I didn't read blogs halfway through, I didn't get up and go to the fridge, I didn't go to the bathroom. I just sat in my chair, worked for three hours and got the work done.

I didn't do anything unusual today, except go out for dinner. I was supposed to be working, but I went to The Elephant and Castle instead. I ordered a Tennent's with my fish and chips. I was out of the office for about 80 minutes. I felt guilty about it, so I stayed late to make up the time even though I was completely unsupervised. After dinner, I sat in my chair at work for 150 minutes before I headed home. I'm thinking that there might be some strange Ritalin-like chemicals in Tennent's because that's the only explanation for my shocking concentration tonight. Maybe it was the thrill of cutting off work in the middle of a shift, or maybe it was just the guilt of it. I'm thinking that if I can get just sit down and get that much accomplished over that many consecutive hours, I may be on to the greatest gift to my productivity, or a huge money maker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter