Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Parking Permits Volume 2

I was talking to my Mom last night about her upcoming trip to South America. I asked her, rather off-handedly, "What are you doing with your car when you're gone?"

She told me that she was going to park it at the airport for the three weeks that they'll be gone. Dumbfounded and shocked at what I knew was coming I asked, "How much is that going to cost?" Since my parents recently went to India, she responded, "Last time it was about $300.00."

Now, granted, I am sure that my parents parked in the most expensive lot right by the door, but they are old, and overweight and can't be walking from some lot six kilometers away. Fortunately, they can also afford to pay $100 a week to park their car.

Logically, I thought that I would drive them to the airport and pick them up and thus take care of their car for the time that they're gone. Simple right?

Surprisingly, yes. I have mentioned in a previous post that I will sing the praises of the City of Toronto Parking Permit office, and this continues today.

I drove down to City Hall today on a Q & A mission to find out about paperwork and fees to get a temporary parking permit for the three weeks that my Mom and Dad are away:

1) I found parking on the street. Total cost $1.00.
2) Walked the 63 steps to the Parking Permit office.
3) Walked to the front of the non-existant queue.
4) I asked, "What do I need to do to get a parking permit for my parents for the three weeks that their car will be in Toronto?"
5) I needed no documentation for a temporary permit. I simply gave him my address and the start and finish date.
6) I paid the $44.94, and received a parking permit.
7) I went home.

Again, I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the permit. I will have saved my Dad around 250 bucks, which will make him extremely happy (and is conveniently the price of my new tv), and have done my good deed as an eldest son.

At this point in my parents' lives, they are by no means dependent, but I do need to be closeby to help out with little things like this. I'm still at the "helping them avoid ripoffs stage" and would be ecstatic if it lasted for another 15 years or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter