Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm Sorry H.S.

I was listening to The Vinyl Cafe this morning and there was a story written about a note that was found which simply read, "I'm sorry H.S." It wasn't terrific, but got me thinking about dear, dear Homer.

I was in the movies a few weeks ago, and saw Blood Diamond. I thought the movie was all right, but was mostly devastated by the sign that I saw for the upcoming Simpson's movie.

I'm worried about The Simpsons. I can put aside the fact that recent episodes have been weak. To be honest, I haven't watched with any regularity since around the ninth season. I remember the episode with Homer's pet lobster being one of the final nails in the coffin of my regular Simpsons watching routine.

If I was afraid that all that was once good about The Simpsons will be tarnished by the series dragging on after it should have ended, I'm horrified now that the movie will utterly destroy it.

I take solace by looking at the Beavis and Butthead and the South Park movies. They managed to make a nice transition from series to feature film. It seemed that they both managed to make thier movies when they were at the top of their games. I don't think that this is the case with The Simpsons.

I've been watching the sixth season on DVD and listening to the audio commentaries. There isn't much point in watching the episodes since I know them all inside and out. It was interesting to hear about them talk about the animation. They made a switch from cel animation to digital ink and paint during season 12. It was around this point that I really tuned out. I'm not sure if it was because the animation changed, or simply because episodes like New Kids on the Blecch (featuring 'Nsync) and I'm Going to Praiseland (featuring Shawn Colvin) were so wretched that I couldn't bear looking forward all week to watching and being so thoroughly disappointed.

The movie's trailers don't look promising. The animation is clearly digital and I'm afraid that the film will simply be a continuation of the show's current fare without any of the comdey gold that made the Simpsons what it is. Leaf through any DVD set from 4-9 and you'll find episodes that have become a part of a generation's lexicon, but try nursing a gaffaw out of recent efforts.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I really question the movie version of television shows. Some shows have been successful, of course, and I want The Simpsons movie to be everything that it can be. Unless the writers make an effort to remain true to the glory days of the show, I fear that the impact of the show will be irrevocably stained as a troubled franchise tries to cash in on its last shreds of credibility. Rolling Stones and Queen... I'm looking in your direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter