Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Codename: Nugget

I was asked the question last night, "What about your blog?"

I have been a long time reader of Girl With a One-Track Mind, and have been particularly fascinated by the posts of the last few days.

The author of the blog, Abby Lee (a pseudomnym), has gone to painstaking efforts throughout her blog's life to hide her true identity. Her blog chronicles her sexual exploits and her reflections on her life and loves. It's a fascinating read, especially for a man like me who knows painfully little about women.

Lee has recently had a book published that has become an immediate bestseller (whatever that means) in the U.K. and has been fodder for the British newspapers. She has been recently outed as her name has been uncovered and published (along with pictures) for the entire world to see.

From her recent posts it's difficult to believe that this is a publicity stunt. She seems genuinely upset as her life has been thrown into the judging spotlight.

I can empathize with her. When my mother died, I was shocked to discover that her fatal car accident had made the local nightly newscast. Details of the accident were aired with images of the crumpled car. Her name was read.

I couldn't believe that that information was aired. It was, obviously, an absolutely horrific crash, and one that I suppose was newsworthy since the highway was closed for hours. Still, no one contacted us to ask for permission to air the story, nor did they ask for permission to mention her name.

I'm not sure if legally, journalists are bound to ask for permission to publish such details, but from an ethical standpoint, shouldn't a journalist seek out the family before showing video of the destroyed vehicle and airing the victim's name?

I think that Ms. Lee's treatment has been reprehensible. Sure, she's selling a lot of books, but at what cost to her own freedom? I could only guess that based on the events of her life over the past week that if given the chance to go back in time, I doubt she would do it again.

So, indeed, what about my blog?

I have often wondered if my students have ever stumbled across it. A simple google search will uncover it, and I am quite sure that on the first day of school, any number of students will be googling their new teacher. I would if I were them.

So, would I want my students reading my blog and all its personal stories? I suppose not. It isn't as though I have anything to hide, or that I regret any of my posts. Maybe I should, but I don't. This is my life and I don't believe that it is a particularly unusual one. I think that it's relatable and I think that it's good for a few lessons.

I'm wondering, though, if I could glean a lesson from Ms. Lee's story. I think that I must now go through a series of precautionary measures to ensure that my anonymity is maintained, not because I want to hide, but simply because I want to have the freedom and comfort to continue what I'm doing.

1 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter