Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Weekend Away

I managed to get out on Friday at 10:00. We arrived at the cottage at midnight and didn't do too much the first evening. We were tired and headed to bed fairly early.

I woke up early the next morning and went for a run. It was nice and relaxed and I did 8k in 40 minutes. It wasn't really even worth doing, but I thought that I needed it.

We had a bunch of jobs to do and so after having breakfast and sitting on the dock, I started mowing the lawn and picking up all the branches that had fallen during a storm earlier in the week. With the jobs finished, I spent the rest of the afternoon swimming, reading, and drinking. I dropped a backgammon piece under the dock, so I spent a good part of the day trying to find my diving mask and then trying to find the piece. No luck.

I was wiped by the end of day, because I had resisted the afternoon nap, and had downed about 8 beers. We had an extravagant dinner and I decided to call it quits early and went to bed at around midnight. Everyone wanted to go to the bar. I'm sure that they just wanted to line shots up in front of me, but I went to bed.

I was up at 7:30 the next morning and headed over to Minett for a 10k race. It was very hilly and I ran like crazy. I finished in 8th place with a time of 41:02. Since I finished 3rd in my division, I got a medal. As we waited for the awards to be handed out, I won a door prize of a bag, hat, and book. It was a great day, a fun race, and I ended up ahead.

When I got back home, I cracked a beer and read on the dock. I was sleepy, so I napped for two hours. I stayed up for a little while and then decided to give in and I had a second nap. I've never had two naps in the same afternoon, but it was worth it. I woke up refreshed and ready to go.

We had hamburgers for dinner and then after a brief locking-the-keys-in-the-cottage panic we headed over to the Sloan concert. I thought that the concert was great, but that might be because I had had so many drinks. It was fun to bounce around again circa 1999. I'm luvin' the new single.

We stumbled back to the cottage, and then I went to bed. I didn't partake in drunken swimming, but the tradition continued in my absence.

Monday morning was grump-time. The day of departure always stinks. It's really depressing. People are disappointed either because they built it up too muchand are let down, or are just dreading the return to reality. Nevertheless, tempers were a little short. We cleaned the house and got everything put away. We were real pigs this weekend, but managed to get everything sorted.

The ride home was fun. I was a little hungover, but I enjoyed the conversation and being the DJ.

I got home at about 4:00, went for a 10k run, and then got ready to go to the Roger's Cup tennis matches. The event was great but would be so much more popular and better attended if it wasn't in the middle of nowhere North York. York University is a helluva long way from my house. It is amazing to me that an event like this can happen when the venue is so inaccessible. Sure public transport will get you there, but it is a long ride from the Bloor line to your seat and back.

The matches were great. Bester got smoked by Blake, but Benneteau surprised Baghdatis in a very entertaining three set match.

Today was my job interview. It went very well, and I'm thinking that I'll get a second interview. The two women who interviewed me were very nice, and thanks to some good preparation, I felt like I did a great job answering their questions. Cross your fingers!

I got kicked out of my house for a showing this evening. I was supposed to have a friend over for a barbeque. It's a good thing it didn't happen, because I ran out of propane halfway through cooking meal. I had to resort to the old stove-top finish off.

So now I'm eating chicken breasts, baked yams, and salad. I'm waiting to see where the evening takes me before I head back to work tomorrow for a day of time and a half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter