Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's Not The Band I Hate...

I'm getting very frustrated with the World Cup for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I cannot stand all the diving that goes on. The players must take time to practice how to fall as heavily and awkwardly as possible. "Okay, guys, today we're going to work on knowing when someone is close enough to you that you can fall down and suck out a free kick. I'm going to take this Chinese fan and wave it three feet from you. When you feel a slight breeze you need to jump and roll while grabbing your leg. Roll around and writhe in pain until you get a call."

There have been some fantastic goals and I love watching them, but it drives me crazy to watch these grown men behaving like a tattling six year-old on the school yard. It cheapens the game and is incredibly desperate and lame.

I was walking home from work on Monday, and just as I stepped out of my building, a car full of people were screaming and brandishing Brazilian flags. As I continued home, I made sure to note all the cars with flags. The closer I got to the Annex, more and more people were hanging out of the windows of horn-blaring cars.

I can understand celebrating. I walked up Yonge street when the Blue Jays won in '93, in fact, I got in trouble as a result, but I didn't care because I was a fan, and I had a blast.

What I don't understand is that the game had finished 5 hours before I saw these lunatics and was deafened by their foolish honking. Enough is enough already. It's your first game against Croatia who severely outplayed you. It hardly warrants that much ballyhoo.

The third that that frustrates me, and it really shouldn't, but I'm just about fed up with the shots of the crowd. The camera operator seems to focus only on hot girls. I don't have a problems with hot girls, don't get me wrong, but it's just too obvious. I'm sure that there are lots of ugly girls in the crowd, but they never get any air time. It seems so antiquated that during every pause you would get some braless drunken 23 year-old jumping up and down in the stands. It's just so blatant. We all know why of all the people in the crowd you decided to focus on this one. It's hardly something that I should be complaining about, but I thought that we had gotten past this crap. The cheerleader is far from dead, I guess.

I will continue to watch the World Cup, but I'm just saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter