Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Lots to Report

You will never believe what happened. As I went through the final edit of a rather long blog entry with the same name as this one, I uncrossed my legs and my big toe hit the reset button of my computer thus losing my whole entry. Anything that terrible has to be true, and so I begin again.

I have a lot of blog-worthy things (I suppose that that's a matter of opinion) that have happened in the past couple of days. Alas, still no job.

Land of the Dead

I drove out to the AMC 30 at highways 400 and 7 (aka: a helluva long way away) with my friend Chris to watch it on one of the few screens in the city. It had been many years since we've lived in the same city, and when we did he was in the middle of a theatre boycott (after all the great small theatres were closed and the monstro-theatre malls opened instead-- a corporate move that still baffles me and might explain why the movie industry is in the toilet). It had been about 5 years since we had seen a movie in the same theatre. We were not disappointed.

This is true to his older films. It doesn't have the same campiness of Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead, but it's certainly of the same bloodline. Romero hasn't lost his skill for bad dialogue or ham-fisted socialy commentary; nor do I want him to. I love the way that Romero uses his movies to criticize everything that he hates, and with his poor skills at writing dialogue it makes it all the more enjoyable.

This movie was very bloody and gore filled. Tom Savini didn't do the effects, but did manage to make a cameo as "Machete Zombie". I didn't think that it would be possible to come up with new ways to gets attacked and eaten by a zombie, but here we are. I won't ruin it for you, but my favourite and the scene that catapults this into instant classic cult status would have to be when a zombie attacks a girl and rather than chowing down on her arm, hand, face, or leg, he chomps down on her navel ring and proceeds to tear it out. A small pool of blood oozes out, and Romero has said his piece. Awesome.

Another most excellent ingredient in the stew would have to be Dennis Hopper's horrific preformance. Funny funny stuff here.

Painting

I have finished painting my bedroom and have moved in the dresser. I am happy to report that all my clothes are happily in their new living spaces. Everything is tucked away into a drawer, my pants are pleat folded and hanging in the closet along with all my work shirts, and my ties are breathing a sigh of relief in their hook on the wall. It really is hard to believe how much better this makes me feel (I am starting to wonder about whether I may have a problem).

Toronto Service

Is all service in Toronto terrible? Fortunate, no, even though in many cases it will leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have yet to see a waitress or waiter write down an order. I won't think any less of you if you use a pen and paper to write down my intricate order to additions, substitutions. I just want what I ordered, how it gets from my mouth to the kitchen and then from the kitchen to my mouth is the only thing that matters to me. Just when I was beginning to think that all service here is terrible; Sneaky Dees to the rescue.

I had an amazing waiter yesterday evening. He was attentive and unobtrusive in a way that only a good waiter can. You could easily tell that he was responsibile for a certain section of tables and that he was completely professional about it. He didn't screw around with his coworkers, but was strictly business. When not explicitly helping a customer, he stood near the bar and gazed out over his dominion keeping tabs of everyone's drinks knowing exactly how far along they were and he was ready when they approached "the danger zone". He faded into the background until anyone needed a drink and then it was simply mindread eye contact and then a nod of the head for a refill. It was extraordinary to watch, and luckily I got to benefit from it.

Jobs

No jobs yet, but I do have a good line on one. We'll wait and see what happens after the long weekend. I have given in and applied to the Toronto Disctrict School Board as well as some headhunting agencies in the UK and overseas. We'll play those by ear too.

Long Weekend

After receiving a couple of cottage invites for the long weekend, I am saddened to report my return to Perth. The hay is done, but my parents are quick to cash in on my new found proximity and have sequestered me to take care of the cows for the weekend. My Mom has a reunion and will be in Toronto. Now I have no problem helping them out (my whole summer is a long weekend, after all) but with my 3000 km buffer now gone I am left with the only reconciliation that while I am doing nothing all weekend my parents will be having fun.


So I've got to get this thing published before a suicide-bird laden with mini dynamite sticks flies in and explodes my computer or someone across town with a brand new air conditioner plugs it in and causes the proverbial straw to overload the apparently tenuous electricity grid. I am not retyping this again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter