Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Kenora's Crappy Hotel Room

Have you seen that Simpson's episode where Homer and Marge go to the themed hotel in order to help spice up their marriage? They stay in the "Utility Room".

Right now I'm at the Day's Inn in Kenora and am staying in the "Oak Room". It's a board/meeting room that has three cots in it. Actually, it isn't that bad but I am sleeping on a cot. It has a tv and a bathroom and is very big, but it's the only place that I could find and I didn't feel like driving the five hours to Thunder Bay considering that it is now 12:30 in the morning. The room does have a computer, so I thought that I would write this up in comfort.

I went to the folk festival tonight. It was quite an experience. The field was relatively dry, and there were a ton of dragonflies and a slight breeze which kept both combined to keep the mosquitos away. The music was very good but the sound was quite disappointing. It very possibly had more to do with the screaming children that surrounded me or the disinterested potheads that wouldn't stop talking. I heard Nathan, the Kawa Brass band, and Ba Cissoko.

I was very impressed with Ba Cissoko and they really stole the show tonight. Bill Friseel was as great as always, but as I was sitting there with water soaking through my towel, shorts and underwear I couldn't help but think that the next step was my drive home. I was so anxious to get moving that I became rather restless so much in fact that I actually left right after Bill Frisell's set and I missed bluegrass legend Ricky Skaggs. I'm not too upset about that, but I am actually happier that I'm back on the road.

So I will be in Toronto on Saturday (I hope). I likely won't have another chance to post before I arrive, unless I find a hotel with a computer tomorrow night. I'm not going to push my luck on the road so the date might change depedning on how I feel about the drive.

I should be in Thunder Bay by noon tomorrow and then will spend the afternoon on Canada's worst strech of highway between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie. I might push on to Sudbury if I feel up for it and then it's not too far to Bala and my parents' cottage. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I know that a lot of it will depend on how comfortable this boardroom cot turns out to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter