Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

In Short, Bureaucracy Is Never Short.

The job search continues. I am in the process of joining the Ontario College of Teachers, but am finding the whole thing unecessarily annoying.

First off the fee to join is $325.00. Secondly, they require so many ridiculous documents. Since I am certified in Saskatchewan and Quebec they want a "statement of professional standing" from each of them. That's fine, I suppose, but Saskatchewan Learning charges $50 for that document, and I'm still trying to find the right telephone numbers from the Quebec government which is no easy task(check out the crappiest version of an English website here. Compare, if you dare.). It is doubly hard with the language difficulties. I'll have to continue trying it tomorrow morning. I don't know what the fee will be. I also had to part with $26 for a criminal records check. It'll likely be another $50 when I land a job because I will need an additional check for the "vulnerable sector".

There is also the running around problems. I have to run all over the place to get paperwork, find documents in all of my packed up boxes, make photocopies of documents, and then check, double check and recheck to make sure that I've done everything properly. All of this comes with a lot of waiting.

Waiting in lines is the worst, but I'm also waiting for letters to arrive in other provinces, waiting for the letters to be put in a "to open" pile, waiting for the letters to be opened, waiting for the letters to be read, waiting for the read letters to be put in the "to do" pile, waiting for the dozens of other things to be done before my read letter can get done, waiting for the letter to be reread, waiting for the letter to be acted upon, waiting for the needed document to be created and put in an envelope, waiting for the envelope to be put in the "to mail" pile, waiting for all the letters in the "to mail" pile to be affixed with sufficient postage, and waiting for the letter to be mailed. That's just one small part of the waiting, but you get the point that that's a lot of waiting that I don't really have the luxury for right now.

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Nugget said...

I spoke to a very pleasant woman from the Ministere de l'Education du Quebec this morning. She knew exactly what I meant and what I needed and told me to send a written request via fax and it would be taken care of today.

I stand by my comments that the whole process is ridiculous, but at least the wheels are turning. I can't complain about that.

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't stand by and let you dis Saskatoon so blatently. What a load of crap!
-The tallest building in Saskatoon is 22 stories high.
-There are at least 22 black people in Saskatoon, thousands of natives, and countless others from various asian countries.
-Those who are in fact 'caucasian' represent a very diverse 'multicultural' background including German European, South African, Australian, Kiwi and South American.

It is unfair to paint Saskatchewan as a cultural wasteland. Remember, that you spent the majority of your time in a town of 50 families, not a fair representation of the population.
There....glad you made it safely. Good luck with the job hunt.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Nugget said...

Yes, Shannon, you're quite right. I have been bad mouthing Saskatchewan quite a lot.

I will look back on my time in Saskatchewan with fondness; there is no doubting that. I admit that, yes, I didn't get invovled in the cultural life of the city, and I'm sure that it would have proven amazing, but that's my own fault.

Thanks, for keeping me honest. I kid because I love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter