Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Grocery Stores and Murphy's Law

So I went to the grocery store today and while there I realized that I'm very happy with my decision to move. This is for a couple of reasons: one, I might have seen the most beautiful woman in the world; two, I saw non-white people outside of television for the first time in many months; and three, I didn't have to go to three different stores to get frozen fruit, coconut milk, and brown rice pasta.

I am going through a bit of culture shock being back in Toronto: I can't j-walk anymore because I'd be hit by a car (the drivers don't stop and wave you through), I'm weaving in and out through lanes of traffic when I drive, I have been amazed at how many specialty stores there are that manage to stay in business, and I've been out for drinks every night I've been here.

I am very much in housing limbo. I'm still looking for work, but have found dead ends, which is frustrating. I have a few good leads still, so I'm hoping that something will happen there. I would love to get a job sorted out this week so that I can enjoy the rest of my summer, and maybe even do some prep work for September. Fancy that!

I need to unpack. I've developed some serious cleanliness issues over the past few years and this living out of a suitcase surrounded by dozens of boxes is not doing much for my tranquil summer vacation mindset. I can't unpack until I find a job, because I know that the instant everything finds a space I'll be offered a great job teaching out of town and I'll have to pack everything back up. I'm not doing that again if I can avoid it.

More importantly, I don't want a job out of town. I didn't leave rural Saskatchewan and move 3000km to teach in rural Ontario.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter