Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Shout Out

I went out with an old, but great, friend tonight and we had a long discussion about a lot of different things, but I recall, after many drinks, declaring that you have to be selfish sometimes. You have to decide whether or everyone else is worth more than your own happiness.

I hope that that was of some comfort, but it brings me to an important point: when being selfish and being greedy is essential.

I don't believe that I am an especially evil person, but there is something that inherently evil that comes with putting yourself first and is all tied up with being rotten. I'm not sure why it is, but I think that once you turn 30 and you realize that you need to be happy, you suddenly become very selfish in your decisions. Things stop being about being overtly selfless, and start to revolve around doing things that make you happy.

Decisions change and start to make more sense. The misery that you were always willing to shoulder suddenly become less important and end up being dropped. In short, we begin to understand ourselves and what makes us truly happy. We aren't afraid of embracing that happiness and just smiling and enjoying ourselves.

I got home from my night out and ventured upstairs for the mail.

Letter Number One) A bill from Alamo. I was relieved to find that I was not assessed any damage on my rental car and the bill has been paid. Sweet. I survived all those dirt roads in rural Saskatchewan.

Letter Number Two) Revenue Canada with my tax refund. I had $462.05 in arrears that was deducted from my refund. The letter stated that I was given a credit of $390.30. I already knew that as it was deposited unto my account last week. File letter in filing cabinet.

Letter Number Three) This was one of those shockers. It was in a plain small envelope. I recognized the penmanship right away, and then confirmed it by looking at the return address. This was a letter from my very first "girlfriend". I recall getting secret notes from her when we were 11 years old. I haven't spoken to her in years, but here, suddenly, was a letter. I knew exactly what it was going to say before I opened it, but it still meant a lot. She explained that she is living in Montreal with her boyfriend when she is not working out of the country. The letter was very simple and straightforward, but explained, " I returned for a mission to Haiti to learn of your Mom's death." There really wasn't anything more to it than just that, but it was a very comforting letter to receive so close to Mother's day. Not only that, but it makes me realize, yet again, that I have been lucky enough to have surrounded myself with caring people. I don't always say it, and actually, I don't always realize it, but I have wonderful people around me, and always have. So, if I haven't said it... thank you.

So that's it for today. I've come home loaded, and I don't care. I went out with a great friend and have no reason not to come home loaded. I went for a great run this morning, I worked hard at work today and I'm happy. Point finale. To be honest, as I reread this entry it kind of brings a tear to my eye at how lucky I really am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter