Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

George Lucas Why Have You Forsaken me?

I managed to see Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith over the weekend.

I will make absolutely no attempts at original thought during this blog. Though I have read nothing about the film I do know that every nerd with a keyboard has spouted their feelings about the franchise and it's lost purity and all that jazz.

I am of the demographic that grew up on Star Wars. I had all the action figures. I even collected the proofs of purchase in order to get the special mail order only figures (Greedo, and the Emperor come to mind). I had a model Millenium Falcon, and the Carbonite Freezing Chamber, not to mention the giant Darth Vader head carrying case. I had the lunch boxes complete with thermos, bedsheets, and toothbrushes. In short...nerd.

My buddy has a theory that all the great directors have been ruined by their children. All those innovative directors who had once created everything for their own self-interest have now grown up and had children. Upon first report of this theory, my initial response was "well they just got old and couldn't hack it anymore" (see also similar dialogue in Trainspotting regarding rock 'n roll stars) . He extended it a little by suggesting that these directors rather than creating movies for their own tastes are now creating movies that they believe will suit the tastes of their children.

George Lucas, I believe, is now working for his children. This nicely explains the whole Jar-Jar Binks fiasco, and may explain the wretched dialogue which at times sprouted loud laughter during my screening. (Actually, I was impressed that I wasn't the one laughing loudest).

As for the eye candy, kick ass. Yoda is ultra rad. I suspect that Lucas' role in all of this was quite minimal. It would be interesting to see how much of a hand he actually has in the special effects. I cannot comment on that here since I'm ignorant about this and wouldn't feel right further bad mouthing someone when I'm not 100% sure of their fraudulence.

As for the film, watch it, but keep that inner cynic strong. (Let the lawsuits begin.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter