Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Burned Bridge

Well, I'm supposed to be on the train right now heading towards an interview. Instead, I'm blogging. The simple reason is distance.

Mapquest directions said 43 minutes which we all know in Toronto is much more than that because of traffic; especially rushhour traffic. The plan was this:

1) Walk or take the streetcar to the Bloor line. Transfer at St-George or Yonge and head to Union Station (estimated travel time: 20 minutes).

2) Catch the GO Train west towards Guelph and get off at Bramalea GO Station (travel time: 34 minutes).

3) Catch the GO Bus to Mount Pleasant GO Station. (wait time: 6 minutes, travel time: 35 minutes).

4) Catch the Brampton Transit bus (wait time: mad dash, travel time: 16 minutes).

So the commute, if I made every connection, would be 111 minutes. That's just to get there. A commute is never one way, so I would be spending roughly 4 hours of my day on buses and trains. That doesn't make sense.

There is also the reason why I want the job: quite simply, it would be a notch on my resume. That's not a reason to take a job and be miserable as a result. If I want to pad my resume, I might as well go back to Iqaluit and supply teach. At least then I would be happy. Supply teaching in the Arctic is much more impressive on a resume than a job in Brampton. There's nothing on a resume that can express that you sacrificed more than 20 hours a week getting to and from work anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter