Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Egg Salad, Top Tens, and Things Left Unsaid

It's been a great night and I've had a lot of brilliant thoughts. I doubt that any will translate into a decent entry, but here goes.

I'm typing this in a completely shitfaced state of affairs, but I'm eating an egg salad sandwich with mustard (I learned this from my brother-in-law's mother) and lots of celery (I learned this from my mother). I'm eating this unlike any food I've ever eaten before. Isn't that the way it always goes when you've been drinking? This is the best sandwich ever! Exclamation point, exclamation point!

I waited for the Bathurst streetcar for at least forty minutes. I froze, but finally caught that Bathurst bus instead. There were all mannner of drunken bastards pickin' fights and raising shit and all manner of women chasing after them. I, however, stood silently waiting for a streetcar that didn't exist.

...I'm going back for more eggs salad.

I am so hungry. This egg salad tastes so good right now. I've got the crust pieces now, but it's still yummy.

Tune in every Saturday, for some hilarious posts compliments of yours truly and the magical elixir.

I haven't got too terribly much to say other than the discussion that we had tonight: best albums of all time.

It's so hard to come up with list but here's a rudimentary list of my top ten(in no particular order):

Pink Floyd:Dark Side of the Moon
The Beatles: Revolver
Radiohead: OK Computer (though I must admit that I dislike the final two songs)
Wilco: A Ghost Is Born
Billy Bragg: Back to Basics
Arcade Fire: Funeral
The Beatles: Revolver
Beatie Boys: Ill Communication
Sloan: Twice Removed
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Rolling Stones: High Tides, Green Grass (this shouldn't count since it's a compilation)
Nirvana: In Utero
Leonard Cohen: Songs Of...
Johnny Cash: Live at San Quentin

I know that that's more than 10 albums, but it's just so hard. It makes for great drunken bar conversation, though. There are about a million other albums that I might include in that list, but that would really break the rules. What would you suggest as the greatest album of all time?

The chief problem with top ten albums is that it really depends on the mood. I've been rocking out to Roberta Flack's "Compared to What?" and The Earlies' "Morning Wonder" and Sebastien Tellier's "La Ritournelle" as I've been typing this, and I totally love these songs, but they don't make the top ten.

Perhaps a greater list would be top ten "desert island" albums. I challenge all of you to create your list and publish them here. Here's my rudimentary list:

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Radiohead: The Bends
Afghan Whigs: 1969
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Yo La Tengo: And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
The Beatles: White Album
Tom Waits: Big Time
Sloan: Twice Removed
Beastie Boys: Ill Communication
Oasis: What's the Story Morning Glory?

Now that I've written it down for the whole world to see, I'm kinda embarrassed by it. Remember that this is just the ramblings of a drunken fool. I keep thinking about all the tracks and songs that I love, and all the albums that should be on there that aren't. That's the funny thing about top tens: you always miss something wonderful.

What would you suggest? What is your top album of all time? The album that changed your life and that you can't life without? The album that you can listen to forever? The album that always makes you smile and realize how much you just love being alive?

4 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Part of the problem with your first list is you've got Revolver twice. Now it's good, but do you really need two copies?

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Whoops, meant to put a smiley there. :)

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top 10 Desert Island Albums

1. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
2. Willie Nelson - Phases & Stages
3. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
4. Venetian Snares - Shitfuckers!
5. Merle Haggard - Same Train, Different Time
6. Biosphere - Substrata
7. Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
8. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
9. Mad Professor vs Massive Attack - No Protection
10. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My list.....
Iron and Wine - Endless Numbered Days
Pixies - Doolittle
Throwing Muses - University
Leonard Cohen - The Future
Nirvana - In Utero
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
The Velvet Underground and Nico
Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors
Iron and Wine - Woman King EP
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
I realize after writing this list out that it seems kind of juvenile, but this is truly a list of music that I could listen to for a very long time without getting bored. It covers a variety of emotional states including maudlin, grumpy, bored and frenetic...all emotions that I would expect to encounter on a deserted island.
Fun exercise though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter