Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Great Lake Swimmers And The Post Of Links

I must first give my most sincerest shout out to CBC Radio. In a perfect day I listen to at least 6 hours of CBC radio. My Saturdays consist of Go! and Definately Not the Opera. I don't even mind Quirks and Quarks (makes my geek chic feel more chic than actual geek). Saturday evenings are spent with Lorna Jackson and my new favourite: WireTap.

Saturday nights are all about Grant Lawrence and CBC Radio 3. They mostly play new Canadian tunes that can be found at New Music Canada. They have thousands of songs from new bands, most of whom kick ass. I've been busy for hours listening to live shows and studio sessions at Just Concerts.

And through all my listening to good ole CanCon, I've hooked up with Great Lake Swimmers. I am by now means a music critic. Most of my recommendations are as sophisticated as "totally awesome" or "rockin'". GLS is likely quite well known in other parts of the country, and I expect that he/they sellout Toronto gigs regularly. Nevertheless you can't buy his discs Self Titled (2003) and Bodies and Minds(2005) in Saskatoon.

Though my music purchasing has been sparce over the past few years, I have already spoken about my recent Arcade Fire purchase. I went online to Maple Music and placed an order for both discs on the 29th Of May. They arrived on June 3rd in perfect condition. I've really forgotten the joy of opening a new cd. Maple Music was great because credit cards are charged in Canadian dollars, and are shipped from Canada so that there aren't any nasty customs surprises.

As for the music itself: totally awesome. It's quiet and reflective, brooding and thoughtful. It's the kind of music that won't get your heart pumping on the dance floor which is always fine with me. Head on over to the CBC's family of websites and give the Great Lake Swimmers a listen. The only downside is that you'll have to deal with RealPlayer. If anyone from the CBC ever reads this, please offer other options other than RealPlayer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter