Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yo La Awesome

I e-picked up the new Yo La Tengo album this evening (legally) and am currently giving it the virgin listen. There's something about the first listen that you just can't ever get back. With music subsequent listens often improve a record's enjoyment, but the excitement of fresh tracks is pleasure enough. As the notes float by, I know that, sadly, this is now the moment when I will have the longest wait before listening to a new Yo La Tengo album and enjoying the fresh track excitement.

I saw them play many Octobers ago when I was living in Montreal. I wasn't excited about going because no one wanted to go with me and I had to sell my extra ticket to "the guys, that uh, sell the tickets for the sold-out events." I considered not going, and put it off for much of the evening. I sat there debating and debating in my head as I watched Sunday night television. In a fit of self-loathing, I decided to go. I felt like a loser going to a concert by myself, but weighed that against the loser feeling of watching television instead of going out to see one of my favourite bands in concert.

As I walked into one of the world's greatest concert venues, the Cabaret, the band was just taking the stage and kicked off with their version of The Simpson's theme. The next two-plus hours were pure bliss, and easily rank in my top three all-time concerts.

After being distracted a few times, and at the risk of revealing how long it takes me to finish a post, the album has drawn to a close. The long wait for the next album begins, but in the meantime I'm going to do my best to wear out these mp4s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter