Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Monday, August 22, 2011

RIP Facebook Condolences

So Jack Layton died today. He was one of those rare politicians that garnered respect from all sides. Whether you agreed with his politics of not, it was obvious that he was a man of principles and integrity; qualities so unusual in someone in the limelight.

Before I seem insensitive, I should probably preface this by saying that I was saddened to hear of his death and feel as though Canadians have lost an important voice who spoke for them.

I am sick of reading about him on Facebook. Posting a status update or a link to a news article seems an inadequate way to express emotion, but is something that has inundated social media. I won't post anything about Jack Layton on my Facebook status for the same reason I won't write birthday wishes, new baby congratulations, or notes of sympathy on my friends' walls. It just doesn't seem sincere. It seems cold and fake to post a message that hundreds of other people have already done. If I really cared, wouldn't I do something more than spend 8 seconds writing a brief note on Facebook? Jack spent a few of his last moments taking the time to write a heartfelt letter to Canadians. I think he deserves more respect than "RIP Jack" on thousands of News Feed posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter