Dignan and Anthony

Though certainly not controversial, political, or -some might say- interesting, this is my blog about the things that I see and do in my life. I guess that, in reality, that is all anyone blogs about, but this one is mine.

Monday, July 17, 2006

I'm Trying to be the Shepherd




I've decided that it's important to acknowledge panhandlers. Ralph Ellison discussed invisiblity in "Invisible Man" and I think that if I was a bum on the street, I would at least want people to politely say "no" rather than ignoring me and not acknowledging my existence.

This means that if someone tries to talk to me, I will stop and listen to them. I'm not going to brush past them. I stop in order to find out if these people are begging for money, or if they might have something to say.

Today, a man approached me. I stopped, took out my headphones, and listened to him. He was, at first, surprised, and then acknowledged the fact that he was thankful that I didn't just zip by him.

Then he did something that I wasn't expecting... he offered his hand for shaking. I felt like a real jerk, even though I had stopped, because there was no way in the world that I was going to shake his hand. I'd washed my hands 4 times at work, and used alcohol sanitizer on them 5 times. In fact, I had done so not ten minutes prior. I wasn't touching this hand, filthy or not. I bet it's been in some very weird places and I wasn't going to take any chances. (I will discuss hand-washing in a future post... stay tuned cause this blog is just getting started! )

The man turned out to be selling subway tokens, but I wasn't buying. He was angry because he thought he had a mark in me, but it takes a great deal for me to give money to a panhandler; food yes, money no.

Nevertheless, I will shrug my shoulders and say sorry when I pass someone asking for change. Most of the time, I do have change, but I'm not going to go crazy here.

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to catch that reference, Jules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter